Food Preparation & Nutrition (WJEC) KS4
Food preparation and nutrition equips students with the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook and apply the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating.
By studying food preparation and nutrition learners will:
- be able to demonstrate effective and safe cooking skills by planning, preparing and cooking a variety of food commodities whilst using different cooking techniques and equipment
- develop knowledge and understanding of the functional properties and chemical characteristics of food as well as a sound knowledge of the nutritional content of food and drinks
- understand the relationship between diet, nutrition and health, including the physiological and psychological effects of poor diet and health
- understand the economic, environmental, ethical and socio-cultural influences on food availability, production processes, diet and health choices
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of functional and nutritional properties, sensory qualities and microbiological food safety considerations when preparing, processing, storing, cooking and serving food
- understand and explore a range of ingredients and processes from different culinary traditions (traditional British and international) to inspire new ideas or modify existing recipes
|Principles of food preparation and nutrition
Written exam - 1 hour 45 mins
|Food preparation and nutrition in action
Assessment 1 (8 hours), Assessment 2 (12 hours)
GCSE Food is a good preparation for further study for BTEC Food or BTEC Catering. Those that have studied GCSE Food have gone into careers in the catering environment, nutrition, dietary care and sport related industries.
If you have any questions or queries relating to the Technology curriculum please email email@example.com for more information.