The Ecclesbourne School Practice and Procedures – Snow
It is our intention where possible to continue to open as normal during periods of inclement weather. We take our responsibilities to educate and care for young people seriously, and are aware of the impact on parents and carers if the school is closed at short notice.
However, careful assessment needs to be made about whether opening in snowy conditions is appropriate. There are several factors to consider. These include:
- The severity of the weather at the time
- The forecast and likelihood of an improvement or deterioration in the weather
- The condition of the school site, and our ability to offer lessons as normal
- Access to the school via local and regional roads for staff and students
- [Please note that significant numbers of pupils use local bus services, and as such the ability of the bus companies to offer a normal service is an important consideration]
We endeavour to provide parents with as much notice as we can. Our website is regularly updated during periods of poor weather.
On days of potential difficulty due to snow, early inspection of the site is conducted and an initial decision is taken, dependent upon the above factors. Please note however this decision will be reviewed throughout the day as these factors are subject to change: the weather may deteriorate; the forecast may change; the ability of bus companies to operate may change or unforeseen other factors may impact on our ability to operate. Therefore we may be forced to close even during the course of a school day. Again, we will always try to provide parents with as much notice as possible, and make every effort to ensure pupils and staff can leave the school and return home safely.
Sometimes these judgments are difficult. We appreciate your patience and understanding at these times.